KAT OAF V10 WITH ALLISON AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

Antworten
Wouter

KAT OAF V10 WITH ALLISON AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

Beitrag von Wouter » Sa 10. Nov 2018, 16:55

Hello,

MAN KAT OAF 4X4 FROM 1984

Are these Kat's any good ?

MAN engine V10 turbo water cooled. are these good engines ? I think D2840 engine types.

Is the Allison autobox a good gearbox ? Strong and reliable ?

Thanks for information !

HugoVogelsang

Re: KAT OAF V10 WITH ALLISON AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

Beitrag von HugoVogelsang » Mo 19. Nov 2018, 20:49

Hello,

You mean that airport fire fighter truck?

It's fast, lots of power (440 PS) for just 16 tons.

There are the usual disadvantages of a ÖAF truck. But the more weak frame doesn't matter for a 4x4 and they all rust.

It has no winch.

At the moment, I don't know, if it has a differential lock at the front axle, but I think so.

A perfect base for a fast rallye truck.

I bought one, but it's still not here, because the vendor should make TÜV, 16" tieres and the regisrtration as oldtimer.
I'm not in a hurry, because I got too much projects. But if I make it a rallye truck, I would turn the drivetrain 180 degrees, so the motor is in the rear. You can do that, because at a 4x4 you can also turn the differential housings in the axles to get the right driving direction again. Then you can build a light, powerfull truck with a good wight balance.

greetings
Hugo

RIV

Re: KAT OAF V10 WITH ALLISON AUTOMATIC GEARBOX

Beitrag von RIV » Do 31. Jan 2019, 01:50

Hello Wouter,

we own one of these Jumbo Cheetah Airport Fire Fighter Trucks, MAN 14.440 from 1984. Engine ist MAN watercooled D2540 (V10 bi-Turbo, 17,xx litres, MAN "M-Verfahren"). We use the truck for Rally (Rally Raid), improved the cooling system and added an air cooler so it has more power now. So far no problems with gearbox or engine! The truck has differntial locks in both axles, but no differntial between the axles! We added a clutch to the front axle drive shaft (original Allison parts) so we can switch it off for road use. Top speed is about 130 km/h. Engine and gear box are "good old quality", very massive, but also very heavy. They both are completely mechanical, no electric/electronic system except for the engine starter. The gear box can be operated in 2 modes with different rpms for gear change (Economic/Sport). We had the switching points be modified.
The Truck is MAN, based on the ÖAF-Truck build for Austrian Army. Due to this it has a shorter wheelbase than the KAT 4x4 because the ÖAF where only 6x6, the just cut of the last axle. As Hugo mentioned the frame is not as strong as in the KAT, but for our use no problems so far. Both axles have stabilizers as the trucks had to reach high speed with full load also in curves. We dismounted the front one, but left it in the rear.
Due to the power and automatic-gearbox acceleration is really impressive, fuel consumption as well 8-) .
HTH, regards

Carsten
Dateianhänge
P1010282.JPG

Antworten