I broke the torque converter?

Antworten
Roland 2

I broke the torque converter?

Beitrag von Roland 2 » So 8. Dez 2019, 23:26

Hello, I'm a newbie here but have owned my 78' kat for about 5 years now, and I think I broke the torque converter :(
Symptoms are:
1. Wandler light always on, no matter what revs are
2. Torque converter not working, kat only moves using the clutch, I managed to get it home
3. Nasty noise sounds like a faint grinding coming from just in front of gearbox to where clutch is I think.
4. Tacho and rev counter went crazy just before this started happening and now the rev counter does not work at all.
5. I had just come off the motorway for coffee after about 1 hour continuous speed.

I am at a loss as to what is actually broken and any help would be so gratefully received! English written manual would be amazing, or even a German one with picture's would also be useful.

Many thanks for your time,
Roland ager

special-mechanics

Re: I broke the torque converter?

Beitrag von special-mechanics » Mo 9. Dez 2019, 14:07

A question:
To number 2: when you drive and stop the KAT without using the clutch... The engine go out?
The yellow Light is always on?
zitat : "Dann kann es also sein der KAT ist umgekippt obwohl er es theoretisch gar nicht hätte dürfen oder er ist nicht umgekippt obwohl er es hätte theoretisch müssen ?" HJL

Powerkat
Händler

Beitrag von Powerkat » Mo 9. Dez 2019, 18:41

hy...
normaly your Problem can not be : if the Wandler (Converter) light is on , the Converter Cluch can not be closed.
because: normal the Relay BD7 change the conekt from Light to conferter cluch - both can not be working -only: if the relay inside is broken an giv at both Pins energy....

i understand you will tell us : the convertercluch is always closed ,you only can stop with the pedal cluch otherwise the Engine will Pressed off.

I think the noise you here is only in low RPM at maybe 1000-1500 Rpm the noise is off...thats normal when the converter cluch is closed in lowRPM (Leerlauf,Standgas)-then the Engine runs not like a round circle more like a hexagon circle-Stop-Sign ...this unround turning let every spoke in the Gearbox "crashed" together and makes the noise....at higher RPM the engine runs clear round and the Gearbox is normal noise ....

vor my Thinking you have a Problem with the relais BD7 in front of your co-driver legs ...change it -its the easyest way and look what happend , also have a look at your right side , in the Area Driver cabin / Loading flat there are normal the Exhaust Pipes with the Isolation ...direkt under/in the near is your main Gearbox-Wire from the Cabin (behind fuel tank filling hole) to the Gearbox /Converter...maybe your exhaustpipe is broken, the hot Fire is burning your Wire then it can bekome here wrong energy on wrong Wires....i had before....

Marcel
http://www.kley-mobile-werkstatt.de
Die Werkstatt für den KAT , Beratung-Reparaturen-Umrüstungen-Teile

Roland 2

Beitrag von Roland 2 » Di 10. Dez 2019, 10:45

Special mechanic: yes when I stop the engine dies, but if I press the clutch pedal its OK, the Sandler light is always on now, no matter what the driving speed/revs.

Marcel: I have heard about your skills from other people here in the UK! You are famous ;)
The noise is still there from idle up to 2000rpm, I understand what you mean when its at a slow rpm but I'm sure its not general rumble, this is a new noise for me to hear.
One thing for sure my exhaust is not broken because I made a new one from stainless :D which also goes straight up, you might approve, I made sure the cables and exhaust brake hoses are well clear so they don't get burnt but I will check again and photo graph so you can see.
The relays in front of passenger feet could you show me a photo of the one I should change or is it the middle one? Can I temporarily swap a relay with another one on there for testing?
Is the rev counter a problem at this stage?
Also can I upload video on here? Maybe this would help diagnose this problem
So many questions, I'm a little out of my depth!
Thankyou

Powerkat
Händler

Beitrag von Powerkat » Di 10. Dez 2019, 14:25

ok....
puh, the noise in all rpm is not nice....
but-step by step...
the relay sit in a line of 5 relay behind the water tank for Window cleaning....
normal the Relay has a signature with the BD7 ....normal it is the relay in the middle....
they are normal relays ,you kan take them every where ....for Test you kan change it with one of the neighbours....

good luck....

Michael 461

Beitrag von Michael 461 » Mi 11. Dez 2019, 00:44

Hi,

maybe this helps you diagnosing electric issues without having a fitting relais.

There are three diagnostic ports in your driver cabin. These are (from left to right) JB1, JB2 and JB5).
Connect (for exeample) PIN6 of port JB2 to your multimeter (or lamp) and the other one to ground for testing.
Unbenannt.PNG

Powerkat
Händler

Beitrag von Powerkat » Mi 11. Dez 2019, 16:18

If the relay change brings no good news, cut the main cabel /wire between the Gearbox and driver cabin,the easyest point is behind the Tank-Fuel fill in there is the main plug with the 90 ° plug ....if the wire is cut , the Gearbox runns without elektric - than the Converter must be worked ! if you have then also no converter funktion ,the converter has a biger problem inside ....if the conferter then works normal ,and your noises are away, you have a Problem in the Elektrik system ....its easy to check if the problem is in the Gearbox or outside....

Marcel

special-mechanics

Beitrag von special-mechanics » Mi 11. Dez 2019, 18:47

i know these symtoms
in my case i haved total damage of the tourqe converter clutch (TCC... in german WSK --> Wandlerschaltkupplung)
The reason was a defective solenoid valve
this solenoid was half open and mechanic broken
in this case slipped the TCC and make many temperature, this temperature kill the speed sensor of the gearbox input shaft and the TCC was burned in close position

disconnect the wire from the gearbox ---> the TCC is not open ?
thats wrong !

check the electrical resistance of the speed sensor ---> wire nr 104 of the WSK ECU connector to ground ---> 60ohm
(the wire 101 is the engine speed sensor)

open the fluid checking screw on the downside of the TTC room ---> more than as a little bit oil was wrong

Disassemble the valve plate on the TCC Box and check the electric valve

check the oilpressure on the screw "7" on the valve plate -->> more than 0 BAR /psi ? ---> the valve was broken maybe (on idle speed)
zitat : "Dann kann es also sein der KAT ist umgekippt obwohl er es theoretisch gar nicht hätte dürfen oder er ist nicht umgekippt obwohl er es hätte theoretisch müssen ?" HJL

Roland 2

Beitrag von Roland 2 » Mi 11. Dez 2019, 19:00

Thanks guys, there is a lot to get on with here, I'm waiting for the storm to pass before getting into this truck as I'm outside, hopefully this weekend should be good and I will report back

Roland 2

Beitrag von Roland 2 » Mi 11. Dez 2019, 19:30

OK I have also been looking through the diagrams for the wsk unit, I have the syncro without retarder, I think ;)
The noise I hear is coming from under the syncro, below where the neutral sensor would be, if that helps

Roland 2

Beitrag von Roland 2 » So 15. Dez 2019, 18:33

Oooo you boys!
Well done and thankyou, it was that damn relay!
It turns out the resistance had broken down in it although it still switched over.
Although I still have no rev counter...any easy fixes!?
Thanks again

Powerkat
Händler

Beitrag von Powerkat » Mo 16. Dez 2019, 19:40

:dance: :lol:
its not a trik....its only a KAT !

Marcel

Antworten