Speedo/Tacho Stopped

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

Antworten
IrishKat1

Speedo/Tacho Stopped

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » So 11. Dez 2016, 02:40

The Speedo/Tacho has just stopped on my MAN KAT 1. The time clock still works, Any suggestions or advice as to how to locate or sort the problem. Sean

woelf59

Re: Speedo/Tacho Stopped

Beitrag von woelf59 » So 11. Dez 2016, 11:12

Hello Sean,

perhaps the flexible shaft between gearbox and tacho is broken

best regards Wolfgang

fun-ski

Beitrag von fun-ski » So 11. Dez 2016, 12:05

woelf59 hat geschrieben:Hello Sean,

best regards Wolfgang
Beide sollten eigentlich nicht ausfallen wäre seltsam

there are two Shafts one for Speedo and for Tacho, nomarly ist not possible that boths of them Brocken, and you have a Problem wiht the Instrument.
Open the Instrument Paneling to check the Schaft on the Backside of the Tacho.
It´s easyer to open the Panel when you open the Screws from the Steeringlink, push it by the side, now you hae more Space to work.
sorry for my bad English
good Luck
wer Rechtschreibfehler findet darf Sie behalten!
Gruß
Dirk

Zentralgestirn

Beitrag von Zentralgestirn » So 11. Dez 2016, 12:44

Hello,

Speedo can be the same as Tacho, so i would say he means only one of both functions of it.

I think Wolfgang is on the right trace. But there are at the gearbox and on the Speedo it selfs are small gearboxes attached, they can be broken too. But i would say it´s the flexible driveshaft. Some times you have a rocking motion of the needle before the driveshaft is breaking. A longer time before it snaps.

Open the dash panel and disconnect the drive shaft. If you can turn it freely it´s definitely snapped.

The same for the RPM meter, but only one attached gearbox on the speedo, not on the engine, if i remember right.

If you really mean both functions, than i would say there is something broken in it and blocks both functions.

Inside are one magnetic clutch for each meter. They are preloaded with a spring and then comes a very complicated mechanics to make some rotatory and linear motions of it. Pretty fragile mechanism inside. The clock is placed in the lid, so she has nothing to do with the rest in the big compartment of the speedo.

You can make a very easy test. Open the lid and move the plastic dog drive in the center. The needle for the speed must turning very easily and smooth. Same for the metal part on the side. It´s moves the rpm needle. Both are preloaded with a spring and have to return to zero alone. Otherwise you must have a closer look inside the lid.

Good luck to find it easily.

Sebastian

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » So 11. Dez 2016, 14:57

If both gauges fail same time: did you open the unit during driving, e.g. to adjust the clock?
There are small links between body and display. Normally they get back into position when the engine is stopped and the vehicle at standstill.
In some rare case they don't. Open the display before firing up and flip back again.

Peter
When you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Di 13. Dez 2016, 23:50

fun-ski hat geschrieben:

best regards Wolfgang
Beide sollten eigentlich nicht ausfallen wäre seltsam

there are two Shafts one for Speedo and for Tacho, nomarly ist not possible that boths of them Brocken, and you have a Problem wiht the Instrument.
Open the Instrument Paneling to check the Schaft on the Backside of the Tacho.
It´s easyer to open the Panel when you open the Screws from the Steeringlink, push it by the side, now you hae more Space to work.
sorry for my bad English
good Luck
Thank you fun ski, I did try to open the panel, but couldn't open it enough to get my hand to the flexible shaft. I was just driving along heard a noise and then happened to look at the speedo and both it and the tacho had stopped.

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Di 13. Dez 2016, 23:55

Sandkater hat geschrieben:If both gauges fail same time: did you open the unit during driving, e.g. to adjust the clock?
There are small links between body and display. Normally they get back into position when the engine is stopped and the vehicle at standstill.
In some rare case they don't. Open the display before firing up and flip back again.

Peter
Thank you Peter, I hadn't opened the unit while driving, but did hear a loud bang at some stage which didnt seem to come from the dash, but next time that I looked at the speedo, there was no speedo or tacho.

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Di 13. Dez 2016, 23:56

best regards Wolfgang
Thanks Wolfgang

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Di 13. Dez 2016, 23:59

Zentralgestirn hat geschrieben:Hello,

Speedo can be the same as Tacho, so i would say he means only one of both functions of it.

I think Wolfgang is on the right trace. But there are at the gearbox and on the Speedo it selfs are small gearboxes attached, they can be broken too. But i would say it´s the flexible driveshaft. Some times you have a rocking motion of the needle before the driveshaft is breaking. A longer time before it snaps.

Open the dash panel and disconnect the drive shaft. If you can turn it freely it´s definitely snapped.

The same for the RPM meter, but only one attached gearbox on the speedo, not on the engine, if i remember right.

If you really mean both functions, than i would say there is something broken in it and blocks both functions.

Inside are one magnetic clutch for each meter. They are preloaded with a spring and then comes a very complicated mechanics to make some rotatory and linear motions of it. Pretty fragile mechanism inside. The clock is placed in the lid, so she has nothing to do with the rest in the big compartment of the speedo.

You can make a very easy test. Open the lid and move the plastic dog drive in the center. The needle for the speed must turning very easily and smooth. Same for the metal part on the side. It´s moves the rpm needle. Both are preloaded with a spring and have to return to zero alone. Otherwise you must have a closer look inside the lid.

Good luck to find it easily.

Sebastian
Thank you Sebastian, when I get a chance I will carry out those tests and hopefully will get a result.

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » Fr 20. Jan 2017, 21:34

Broken gear
Broken gear
Finally I got to check the Speedo and located the problem. As can be seen in the picture, the centre drive pin is broken in both plastic gears. Can these items be obtained and if so an email address would be much appreciated.

marcel texel

Beitrag von marcel texel » Sa 21. Jan 2017, 14:08

I have 2 of them.

But i dont know if they are both the same.

Weis jemand hier ob beide gleich sind? Drehzallmesser in km seite

Mfg,
Marcel
Crime doesn't pay, does that mean my job is a crime?

egn

Beitrag von egn » So 22. Jan 2017, 09:49

IrishKat1 hat geschrieben: Finally I got to check the Speedo and located the problem. As can be seen in the picture, the centre drive pin is broken in both plastic gears. Can these items be obtained and if so an email address would be much appreciated.
TACHOMETER STELZLE

Unterfeldstr. 11
86199 Augsburg
Telefon 0821 / 57 29 32
Fax 0821 / 58 18 91
Email siegel@tachometer-stelzle.de

Mr. Siegel repaired mine and has a lot of old parts.
Gruß Emil

IrishKat1

Beitrag von IrishKat1 » So 29. Jan 2017, 00:10

The spare parts arrived from a fellow member on Thursday and now everything works perfect again.

Antworten