Thank you

alle Tips und Fragen, die bei der Neuanschaffung eines KAT anfallen

Moderator: D-Platoon

Antworten
NorfolkMiq

Thank you

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Sa 22. Okt 2016, 13:47

Good morning to all of you fine MAN KAT owners, I brought my KAT "Gazelle" on May 2016 from a french seller. She is now in the UK and she is registered here.
I would like to thank you for letting me into your forum and I hope I can meet some of you in the near future.

I'm really sorry I don't talk or write in German I hope you will forgive me, and I try to translate all of the messages I get from you fine people, so please write to me in German if its easier.

I meet the MAN KAT Doctor in Bad Kissinger show and I did ask him if he knew of some one that may have a MAN KAT winch for sale or spare, as the one in GAZELLE was taken out. Also I seem to have a light on the dashboard that said Wandlerkontrolle is a yellow light and stays on all the time, any ideas were to find and repair this fault? My MAN KAT is not in a very good state but I'm trying to repair the truck as much as I can, I'm in need of a cabin full if possible as the doors don't lock and they have some rust at the bottom of them, plus some of rthe dials and the dashboard are missing.

Any help would be much appreciated and once again thank you.
EarthTraveller
Dateianhänge
Gazelle EarthTraveller
Gazelle EarthTraveller

4x4-6x6

Re: Thank you

Beitrag von 4x4-6x6 » Sa 22. Okt 2016, 13:57

Hallo,

ein Rally - Auto ?

Noch ist es ein Links-Lenker.
In Süd-Afrika soll es Umbausätze auf Rechts-Lenker geben.

Schön ist der Tritt-Hocker zum Einsteigen.

Nur was ist beim Aussteigen ?

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Sa 22. Okt 2016, 15:34

Hello
Yes it was a trail truck, in France, but I will convert the truck to a Overland truck, all of the roll cage is now been removed and the tray at the back too, is now sits on the chassis, ready to do some work, like mount the extra fuel tanks and to place a new back base ready to take the living unit.

Hahaha yes the stool is to get in to the cabin as its very tall, but I will be placing a small chain link at the bottom of the last step so we can access the cabin more easier.

Thank you for you reply.

Miq

Roland

Beitrag von Roland » Sa 22. Okt 2016, 15:49

Hi Miq,
welcome to the Forum and nice to hear from an english Kat owner!
Concerning your need of a cabin: ask Jon from Commerce Trucks in the Netherlands: when he visited our Kat meeting in september he had a spare cabin with him.
Best wishes
Roland

AndreasE

Beitrag von AndreasE » Sa 22. Okt 2016, 18:49

Roland hat geschrieben:Hi Miq,
welcome to the Forum and nice to hear from an english Kat owner!
Concerning your need of a cabin: ask Jon from Commerce Trucks in the Netherlands: when he visited our Kat meeting in september he had a spare cabin with him.
Best wishes
Roland
Sorry, this one is already sold :-)
Too bad he had the cabin with him, I could not resist ( & I need it for a project) ....

Hi Miq,
welcome in the small community of KAT owners and in the forum here. There is a lot of german material available for the KAT, unfortunately we are not aware of english translations of the model you have. What kind of documentation do you currently have?

rgds, Andreas

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » So 23. Okt 2016, 11:03

Good morning Andreas and thank you for your reply.

I will dig all the information that I have on the KAT, but as far as I know it's a German ex military truck, the french person brought it from Lyns in France and I believe it was and Ex German truck, I do not want to change the truck to drive in the UK, I want the truck to be as original as possible, with just comfort modifications made.

I will post the details later.

Thank you Andreas, I have both the parts and the owners manual but unfortunately are in German and I can't understand them, is a shame because it has all the pictures to go with every department of the truck. a valuable item for any MAN KAT owner.

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » So 23. Okt 2016, 11:06

Hi Roland and thank you for your welcome wishes.

Wow that would have been just perfect, I will keep looking and see where I get to, at the moment I want to finish the chasis and get the air and things move to more accesible places, I will post pictures as I go along for every one to see and to ask for advice, as I'm not a mechanical minded, just do as I see the job but sometimes I get stuck.

Thank you and I hope to meet some of you next time somewhere around the world.

Miq

marcel texel

Beitrag von marcel texel » So 23. Okt 2016, 11:27

Commerce trucks has lots of cabins.

If you want to meet UK owners of KAT trucks please add me with facebook: Marcel de Geest

With kind regards,
Marcel
Crime doesn't pay, does that mean my job is a crime?

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » So 23. Okt 2016, 21:57

Welcome to the KAT forum

coming back to your intro question:
when the yellew dashboard lamp remains active above 1500 rpm, there are a couple of options.
Some are easy and cheap to solve, others quite expensive.

The lamp is connected in parallel with the valve that switches the oil pressure to close the converter clutch.
Best way to check the root cause of the error: get a WK400 Testgerät. They are sold from time to time on ebay, not too expensive.
I propose the follwoing steps:
- check if the relais behind the washer fluid tank is working. Is it not enough to hear it switch, maybe the contacts inside are corroded. Exchange it with some other one in the row of five. I don't know which one is drinving the valve, hopefully somebody can assist.

(edit: I just checked it: it is the center relais. The power is switched alternatively to the lamp or to the valve.)

The tester can switch the relais at any time, so do a test only during driving in an open space without traffic around. If the relais is working, the light will switch off and the converter clutch will be engaged. As soon as the converter clutch is activated, you will feel a little yerk in the drive train.
- next items to check: speed sensors and wires between gearbox and ECU.
The signals are displayed on the gauges of the tester. If they match with the tachometer signal, everything is fine with the sensors.
If the signals are faulty, the sensors can be replaced without removing the gearbox. But only very experienced mechanics will be able to do this.
- If none of the errors mentioned above is present, it's the ECU that causes the problem.

If someone is around to lend an ECU for a quick check, step 1 and 3 should be done first.

Peter
When you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 00:04

Hello Peter

Thank you for your welcome, I will certainly look at all of this and I will let you know my findings.

I really appreciate all your help.

Miq

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 17:39

Hello Peter

Ok I had the truck back today from the garage were I had all the excess metal taken out ready to do some work on the chasis and move things around, I had a look at the light that is on in the dashboard and well take a look I have posted the picture of the light, I got the wrong name for it.

Hope this will make it clear what the light is and I have also included the plate on the cab, with some numbers, as its in German I don't understand what some are but hopefully you fine people will be able to tell me.

Kind regards

Miquel
Dateianhänge
20161024_110806.jpg
20161024_110508.jpg

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 18:14

Sandkater hat geschrieben:Welcome to the KAT forum

coming back to your intro question:
when the yellew dashboard lamp remains active above 1500 rpm, there are a couple of options.
Some are easy and cheap to solve, others quite expensive.

The lamp is connected in parallel with the valve that switches the oil pressure to close the converter clutch.
Best way to check the root cause of the error: get a WK400 Testgerät. They are sold from time to time on ebay, not too expensive.
I propose the follwoing steps:
- check if the relais behind the washer fluid tank is working. Is it not enough to hear it switch, maybe the contacts inside are corroded. Exchange it with some other one in the row of five. I don't know which one is drinving the valve, hopefully somebody can assist.

(edit: I just checked it: it is the center relais. The power is switched alternatively to the lamp or to the valve.)

The tester can switch the relais at any time, so do a test only during driving in an open space without traffic around. If the relais is working, the light will switch off and the converter clutch will be engaged. As soon as the converter clutch is activated, you will feel a little yerk in the drive train.
- next items to check: speed sensors and wires between gearbox and ECU.
The signals are displayed on the gauges of the tester. If they match with the tachometer signal, everything is fine with the sensors.
If the signals are faulty, the sensors can be replaced without removing the gearbox. But only very experienced mechanics will be able to do this.
- If none of the errors mentioned above is present, it's the ECU that causes the problem.

If someone is around to lend an ECU for a quick check, step 1 and 3 should be done first.

Peter
I seem to remember that this fault appear when I was trying to charge the batteries, It happen when I connected the battery charger to the wrong polarity on the batteries and since then the light has come on, can it be that I blown a fuse, or maybe the relay?
Thank you

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 19:35

Ok, we are writing about the right indicator:
"Wandler" means torque converter, light OFF indicates die clutch is open (converter operation mode). Light OFF means clutch closed, no converter operation mode.
After ignition ON, it is normal that the light is on. If engine rpms are above 1500, it shall switch off. Independend whether you are driving or reving the engine up at standstill.

To sum up the whole story:
you took the car from France to GB, the light went out during that journey.
Now it remains ON all time.

Correct?

Normally, the ECU shall withstand inverse polarity.
If your battery are not fully discharged, there are hardly any chargers available that can apply inverse polarity at 28V to the power net against a charged battery.
Fully discharged might be different.
Fuses are behind the center cover, left of the glove compartment.
Unlock all and lock them again, maybe some contact problems cause trouble.

Kind regards
Peter
Winston Churchill

NorfolkMiq

Beitrag von NorfolkMiq » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 19:38

Hi Peter

Thats just about right, so I will check this and the fuses, but yes the light goes out after the truck moves if then you stop the light stays on.

Thank you
Miq

Sandkater

Beitrag von Sandkater » Mo 24. Okt 2016, 19:51

that's normal, everything is fine.

When idleling, the converter will disconnect the gearbbox from the engine.
When reving up, the speed difference between crankshaft and gearbox gets smaller and below a certain difference or above 1500 rpm the clutch inside the converter will be activated and the converter becomes inactive.

After reving down, the clucth will be opened again otherwise the engine will stall.

Maybe this video will help:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf5QHNTqxdo

The clutch operated with the pedal is just a switchable clutch, it is located between torque converter and gearset. You must not use it for launching, it is only designed for changing gears without slip.

Peter
Winston Churchill

Antworten